Monday 27 February 2017

Top 5 all time favourites series

Hey everyone,
Sorry that I haven't posted a lot on here. This is because of my busy life, sadly. I currently have an internship, which will be finished by the end of the week. Luckily, I have a midterm break after that, so enough time to write blog posts.

For my first post, I decided that I would do a Top 5. I choose to do a top 5 about my all time favourite series because I love series, especially modern fantasy. The first real book that I read was Harry Potter and the philosopher stone, and I was around nine. Since then I read a lot of book series so I know my way around them. So without further ado, here is my Top 5 all time favourites series:

5. Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Fey series is about a girl named Meghan Chase. She just turned 16 and she doesn`t have many friends, except a mysterious boy named Robbie. When her little brother gets abducted by faeries, she finds out she is the daughter of a faerie king. To get her brother back, she needs to go to the land of faerie (also known as NeverNever). On her journey, she gets entangled in the two courts that rule over NeverNever.

I really like this series. The story building is amazing, and the characters are really relatable. This is also one of the first series I read about faerie, and it really intrigued me. I don`t want to spoil anything, but it contains hot Fae. I mean do you need anything else ;-). The only thing that may be an issue to some people is that it`s more YA than NA. I didn`t find this an issue, but sometimes situations are written a bit more YA than I would like.

This series has four books and one novella book. It also has a follow-up series, which is named "the call of the forgotten" series. This series is about the little brother of Meghan. I haven`t finished this series yet, but I hope to do so soon. If you haven`t read the Iron fey series yet, you should definitely check them out!

4. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (dutch editions)

The " Percy Jackosn and the Olympians " series is about a boy named Percy. He is a twelve-year-old boy who has been kicked off several different schools because of bad behaviour. He has trouble reading due to his severe Dyslexia and also has an extreme case of ADHD. When he gets attacked by his teacher ( who turned into a monster) he finds out that he is the son of a Greek god, also known as a Demigod. Suddenly, his mother goes missing. He finds help in Camp Halfblood, a place where all the Demigods train to protect themselves from the outside world full of monsters. Here he learns about a Prophecy that could destroy the world...

I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! this series taught me a lot about Greek mythology in a fun way with amazing characters. These characters are so complex and all have a different background story. A plus for me was also that I could relate with Percy in a certain way. This is because of his age and his way of thinking. The only negative point about this series is that it`s very repetitive. the first few stories seem very original, but when you have read every book you`ll see some plot twists that have already happened in a different context. nonetheless, I really recommend this series, just for the character development alone.

the Percy Jackson series includes five books. After these books, you have a follow-up series called "the Heroes of Olympus". This series is about Greek and Roman mythology. Rick Riordan is currently Writing another follow-up series named "the hidden Oracle" which is about the Greek god Appollo. Riordan has also written other books based on Mythology, such as Egyptian and German Mythology.

3. The mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

The mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare are about a girl named Clary. She lives with her mother in an apartment in Brooklyn. When Her mother gets abducted, Clary discovers a whole new world with Vampires, Warlocks, Werewolves and Faeries, called the Shadow world. She teams up with the shadowhunters, beings that are half human and half angel, to rescue her mother. This isn`t without any consequences.

the mortal instruments series by Cassandra Clare (dutch editions)
This series is astounding. Not only is the world so big and complex, the characters are also so diverse and original. Every character has an interesting background story. This series is also one of the only series that I know of that has an LGBT+ couple in it (MALEC!!!!). You read from a different perspective almost every chapter. This can be annoying at times because you can end up reading from a perspective of a character that you don't like as much. Another thing I didn't enjoy as much in this series is that I didn't like Clary. I just found her really annoying and whiney. but that's not a reason to not read these books!

There are five books in "the mortal instruments" series. these books take place around 2011 when the first book was released. You also have a trilogy in the shadow world, called  "the infernal devices" and it set in the 1800`s. the follow-up series of the TMI series is "the dark artefacts" series. Only one book in this series has come out. the second book, Lord of Shadows is set to be released in may (and I'm so excited). You also have several novellas in the shadowworld, but honestly, I haven't read all of those.

2. The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas

The Throne of Glass series is about an assassin girl. After a mistake, she is locked up in a slave camp. The prince of the kingdom comes with a proposal to free her, in return for a favour. She needs to win a competition to become the king's champion. She accepts this deal and heads to the king`s castle. During the competition, she makes friends and enemies while revealing long hidden secrets...

the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas (UK  edition)
First of all, Sarah J Maas is my Queen. Her writing style is amazing and so original. The world is so complex but really understandable and the characters are so lovable. The storyline gets better and better with every book, and so do the love interests (ROWAN IS BAE). The thing with this series is that I didn't like the first two book as much as I liked the last three books. So if you are reading one of the first two books and you think about not finishing the series, you should really give it a chance because I promise the last three books are amazing.

This series has five books in it and the six book is announced. It also has a novella and a colouring book. a separate novel in the same world has been announced. another exciting thing that's happening is a tv adaption of this series called Queen of shadows.

1. the A Court Of Thornes And Roses series by Sarah J Maas


A Court Of Thornes and Roses series (hardcover edition)
The ACOTAR series is a fairytale retelling about a girl named Feyre. She is a huntress from a formerly wealthy family. One day in the woods while she`s hunting she comes across a Fae. She kills it and before she knows it she is stuck in a bargain with a High Lord, and she`s taken to the lands of the Fae. Here she comes across the most dangerous creatures and she finds out about a curse that's been plaguing the lands of Pythian.

These books are phenomenal. The writing is on point and the storyline is so beautifully written. The characters are so different but still so understandable and the romance in this book is amazing. The first book is amazing, but it really gets good in the second book ( I mean Rhysand, do I need another reason?). Everything fits so well together and all the plot holes that appear in the first book get solved in the second book. this series is more New Adult than it is Young adult ( Yes there are some steamy scenes), so if you are not comfortable wth that, you probably shouldn't read the series. If you haven't read this series yet, STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT KNOW AND START READING IT.

So this was my top 5 favourite series of all time. If you have any suggestions or you want to leave your own top 5 in the comments, you definitely should.

I hope you enjoyed reading this post and I'll hope to see you next time,
xxx Isa





1 comment:

  1. Hi!! I tageed you in a booktag; '11 facts about me'. In my blog I wrote the rules and some questions. Hope you can answer them so we could know more about each other (? sorry if I didn't write right but is 12 am and I'm exhausted. My link is: librosenprimavera.blogspot.com.ar ♥

    ReplyDelete